As exhibitors, part of your responsibility is to be familiar with and abide by the following rules and regulations:
1) Entry fees must accompany entry forms. Cheques should be made payable to the Vancouver Island Exhibition Association, and mailed to the respective person as stated in the Division entered. For particulars regarding entry fees, see under each Division heading, with exception of Livestock (see Livestock Division Rules).
2) Entry Fees are not refundable in the event of entry being canceled by the exhibitor.
3) Entries must be made on or before the entry closing date in order to afford sufficient time to examine entry papers, to correspond with parties when necessary, for corrections of errors or omissions. The Board reserves the right to accept entries later than the advertised date of closing.
4) Exhibits must be in place and ready for judging at the times listed under each division.
5) No person will be allowed to enter in competition more than one specimen in any one class except where otherwise mentioned. This rule does not apply to Livestock.
6) All entries in the exhibition must be the bona fide property of (with a minimum of 14 days) and made or raised by the exhibitor except where otherwise stated.
7) No persons shall be allowed to engage the judge in conversation or otherwise interfere in his work during the time the exhibits are being judged. Those doing so will be excluded from the competition. Foul language or abuse directed at any show official will result in disqualification from the entire show.
8) Exhibitors must provide for the delivery of their exhibits to the Exhibition Grounds. The Association will not in any case make provision for the transportation or be subject to any expense thereof, either on delivery to or return from the grounds. All expenses connected therewith must be provided for by the Exhibitor and all freight, express and cartage charges must be prepaid.
9) Exhibits not accompanied by their owners, or their agents, must be considered entirely the owner’s risk, and may be addressed to the Exhibitor, care of the Exhibition Association, who will receive them at the grounds if all cartage and other charges have been prepaid.
10) The Exhibition will take reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of the exhibits sent to the Exhibition, but the owners themselves must take the risk of exhibiting them; and should any exhibit or portion thereof be injured, stolen or lost, the Exhibition will give assistance towards the recovery of the same, but will not be liable or make payment for the value thereof.
11) Exhibitors, concessionaires and all other persons are only admitted to the grounds on the understanding that they will co-operate with the Exhibition Association in providing an agricultural fair. No claim for injury to any person or property shall ever be asserted, no suit instituted or maintained against the Exhibition Association, its officers or agents, by or on behalf of any visitor, or any person, firm or corporation, or their agents, representatives, servants or employees, having license or privilege to exhibit on the Exhibition Grounds or occupying any space therein.
12) The Exhibition Association shall not be liable for any loss to an exhibitor occasioned by fire, accident, condition of structure, of the negligence of other exhibitors or officials or otherwise howsoever.
13) No prize cards fixed on the exhibits by the judges or the secretary shall be removed without authorization, otherwise the prize will not be paid.
14) Any article, stand or other equipment left in the buildings or grounds after the close of the Exhibition will be at the owner’s risk. The buildings will be open for removal of exhibits after 5:00 PM on Sunday.
15) The winners must sign for all Perpetual Cups and Trophies presented by the Exhibition. All Perpetual Cups and Trophies must be left with the Show Secretary for engraving.
16) All protests must be made in writing and given to the President before 5:00 pm, on the last day of the Fair, with a deposit of $25.00. The deposit will be forfeited if the objection is not sustained.
17) Exhibitors of animals, machinery in motion and other exhibits liable to cause damage, accidents or injury to property or to persons coming in contact with them, shall guard their exhibits and protect the public from coming in contact therewith, and every such exhibitor shall indemnify the Exhibition from and against all claims and demands, costs, charges and expenses which may incur, suffer or be put to, by reason of any accident or of any person being injured or suffering damage thorough or by any reason of any such exhibit, performance or concession not being properly guarded or the public not being properly protected there from.
18) EXCEPT WHERE OTHERWISE NOTED IN THIS PRIZE BOOK, NO EXHIBIT SHALL BE REMOVED FROM THE EXHIBITION UNTIL AFTER 5:00 PM, ON THE LAST DAY OF THE EXHIBITION, AUGUST 19, 2018. ANY EXHIBITOR REMOVING EXHIBITS BEFORE PRIZE BOOK STATED DATES/TIMES MAY FORFEIT PRIZE MONEY.
The owner must present claim checks to the Committee in charge before the exhibit is removed.
19) ALL EXHIBITORS AND PERSONS ACCOMPANYING SAME MUST PAY DAILY GATE ADMISSIONS TO THE FAIR GROUNDS, WHICH CAN BE EXCHANGED (WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE) AND THE ADDITIONAL MONIES TO MAKE UP THE SUM OF $24.00 FOR A 3-DAY PASS AT THE GATE, FROM THE FAIR OFFICE OR FROM ANY BOARD MEMBER.
20) Should there not be sufficient funds on hand to pay prizes in full they will be paid pro rata.
21) Vouchers for merchandise offered as prizes must be presented to the donor within one month after the date or they will be forfeited.
22) The Exhibition Association will not be responsible for payment or prizes (special or otherwise) offered by others.
23) Parking areas will be provided as far as possible within the area available in Beban Park. The Exhibition will not hold themselves responsible for any loss or damage by fire, theft or otherwise.
24) With the exception of members of the Royal Canadian Mountain Police, no person will carry or attempt to carry any arms, ammunition or explosives anywhere on the Exhibition Grounds at any time.
25) No smoking in the barns. As well as refraining from smoking, exhibitors are requested to politely ask any smoker to refrain from smoking in the barn area.
26) Exhibitors agree to abide by the rules and regulations set out herein. Failure to comply will render Exhibitor liable to being barred from exhibiting in 2017 and subsequent years, at the discretion of the Executive.